Guidelines on the Use of the Name "ASEAN"
- The Name "ASEAN" refers to the "Association of Southeast Asian Nations".
- The Name "ASEAN" is the reserved copyright of ASEAN.
A. Use of the Name "ASEAN"
- The Name "ASEAN" shall be used in a manner that promotes ASEAN and its purposes and principles. It shall not be used for political propaganda or for activities that harm the dignity of ASEAN.
B. Enquiries and Requests for the Use of the Name "ASEAN"
- Enquiries and requests for the use of the name "ASEAN" shall be submitted in writing, and accompanied with the following
- organisational profile; and
purpose for the proposed use of the name "ASEAN".
Such request should satisfy the following conditions:
The entity should be indigenous to ASEAN;
- The usage of the name "ASEAN" should not have any negative effect onthe aims and objectives of ASEAN;
- The name "ASEAN" should not be brought into disrepute by its usage; and
The use of the name "ASEAN" shall be in support of ASEAN purposes and principles.
- The ASEAN Secretariat shall consider the requests accordingly. The approval granted shall be exclusive to the proposed activity. Such approval shall not be extended to third parties.
- Authorisation to use the name "ASEAN" does not confer on those to whom it is granted any right of exclusive use, nor does it allow them to appropriate the name "ASEAN" or any similar trade name, either by registration or any other means.
- Enquiries and requests for the use of the name "ASEAN" should be submitted to the following address:
Public Outreach and Civil Society Division
The ASEAN Secretariat
70 A, Jl. Sisingamangaraja
C. Approval of and Amendments to the Guidelines
- The Guidelines shall be approved by the ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC).
- Any Member State may propose amendments to the Guidelines, which shall be submitted to the Committee of Permanent Representatives (CPR) for its consideration and agreed upon by consensus. The agreed amendments shall be submitted to the ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC) for notation, and thereafter come into immediate effect.
The Guidelines were adopted at the 6th Meeting of the ASEAN Coordinating Council (ACC), Ha Noi, 8 April 2010.